Wednesday 6 January 2010

Christmas books

Books are one of my very favourite things to get as a gift, and I got some pretty great ones this year.

Eat, Pray, Love - I have heard about this one mostly from Ange, but I gather it has received a lot of acclaim and they're even turning it into a movie starring Julia Roberts. I like to read the book before I see the movie, and it looks pretty good from skimming a few pages.

The Grammar Girl's Devotional - like a page-a-day calendar, but in book format, this "devotional" gives a grammar tip every day. Good grammar is important and thinking about good grammar is also important. It'll help me brush up on my grammar skillz.

This Book is Broken - a history of the Broken Social Scene. The format is mostly quotes/dialogue from band members, but beyond that the book itself is beautiful, with tops of photos and posters, kind of scrapbook-style.

What is Stephen Harper Reading? - I'd heard a bit about this story before I got the book. Yann Martel, Canadian author of Life of Pi, sends a book to Stephen Harper every week with a letter of recommendation on the book's behalf. This book is a collection of those letters. Hey! Maybe Stepherino prorogued Parliament to catch up on some reading...

What books did you get/read over the holidays? Any recommendations for me?

2 comments:

aandjblog said...

I've read Eat, Pray, Love and it surprised me how much I liked it. The author wrote another novel called Committee. THere is an article about it in next month's Chatelaine Magazine.

I'm reading The Bandit Queen of India and the Art of Happiness next.

Happy reading

Nat said...

Author of Eat Pray Love did a TED talk on creativity which I adored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA

(This is one of my favourites.)

I got the Cloud Atlas for Christmas, a coworker recommended it. Also reading Eating the Dinosaur, a collection of essays by Chuck Klusterman.. (I think I got his name wrong.)