Friday 13 November 2009

Birthday post the first

Today I got my first birthday present.

Neko was walking down the hall past me when he pulled a large, homemade baguette from his backpack. "Want some bread?" he asked.

"Sure!" I grinned. "Is it a birthday present?"

"Yes" he said, "why not."

And then I had my first present.

The exciting birthday weekend of excitement has officially begun. Tonight was not exciting at all, except that I got my very last X on my hand from the Wardroom. My old roommate Emily was on hand working the door for the auspicious moment. She grinned and I said "last one!"

My friends have been turning nineteen, that magical age, since I was in grade 11. At this point, it's just dumb. It's like "really? Am I not nineteen yet? Really? I must be by now." My mom has been saying for over a year that she wishes I had a fake ID. Alas, I do not.

So, on Sunday, I cross that threshold. But it's kind of freaking me out.

"Watch out" one friend told me, "after this you have nothing to look forward to. Until you get the senior's discount."

"No!" I said, "20 is a big deal. And 21, drinking in the States." I'm not a real grown-up yet. Impossible.

"Yeah... there's still 21."

There is plenty to "look forward to", but... am I An Adult now? I don't think I'm ready for that. I think living in a house where someone else makes the rules and cooking only seldom is about as much as I can handle.

On the positive side... I can now become a raging alcoholic. Look out Ottawa - December 17*, you won't know what hit you.


*Is when I get back into town! Woo!

No comments: