Thursday 30 October 2008

C'est l'Halloween

By the time I finish writing this post, it will be HALLOWEEEEEEEN. Can you tell I'm excited?

This year I had vague plans to dress up as Ellen Page or something until Julia set me straight. So I was initiated into the flapper girl plan (pictures to follow, I assure you). There will be three flappers, as well as our gent -- we conned Mark into being our gent instead and being our accessory. He was disappointed until he realized that this meant he'd get three lovely ladies hanging off his arm all night.

At first, I thought about dressing as a flapper all day, but I thought again. Does anyone else love to remember Halloween when it really was Halloween? I mean, ages 4-10, the prime years. I remember school class parties with movies and chips and Jake's mom's homemade cinnamon buns. Everyone would linger in the school yard, swapping plans for the night, coordinating meeting points, promising candy swaps the next day. I remember watching all the Halloween episodes of my favourite TV shows (Magic School Bus!) and scaring myself silly while picking at a dinner I didn't want to be eating. Finally, FINALLY, when it was dark, my mom would light the candles inside the pumpkins, and I would get to put on my costume. It felt so special and so new. A different me, for one night. I remember feeling incredible those nights. Cool night air mixed with anonymity and sugar created the best adrenaline rush. No wonder I loved it so much -- I was completely high. And loving it.

This is the first year ever that I didn't carve a pumpkin. But I will be darned if I don't do up my costume right. If I had a DVD of the Magic School Bus, that would help a lot.

No comments: